Getting Ready for a Senior Level Promotion
- Are you showing strong leadership with a clear vision and strategy?
- Are you able to differentiate yourself from your peers?
- Have you sufficiently built your network and mustered support from key influencers?
Stepping up in responsibility is an exciting prospect, but it can be daunting, challenging and time-consuming to prepare for. Senior level promotion processes require dedication, a deep level of self-awareness, and an ability to confidently answer the question “why should we promote you?”
There are lots of obstacles that can block a promotion, such as not being visible enough, not gathering enough senior support, not quite hitting the mark in the promotion papers or the interview panels, not being collaborative enough, not showing enough confidence in your skills and abilities or not showing your true leadership qualities. Phew… ! And those are just a few. If you’re in a competitive promotion process, it simply isn’t enough to hope that people will notice how hard you’ve worked and how good your work is. You need to be able to differentiate yourself from your peers and demonstrate your readiness for your next promotion.
Here are some key areas and questions you might want to consider:
Increase your chance of success with Promotion Success Coaching
For ambitious women heading for a senior promotion in the next 6-18 months, my promotion success coaching programme will help you navigate a challenging promotion process and help you meet the expectations of the next level.
Depending on your needs, here’s what the programme can do for you:
- Get clear on your 5-year future vision and business strategy
- Review your performance and leadership capital
- Get clear on your strengths and show success in addressing development areas
- Identify your key influencers and gain critical support for your promotion
- Develop your 100-day Action Success Plan
- Give you strategies to successfully inspire and engage your teams
- Increase your confidence in articulating your strengths, value and contribution
- Create a roadmap for your future career
- Pull together robust promotion papers and business case
- Improve your communication skills for interview panels and challenging questions
- Make sure you devote the time needed to the process
Rachael challenged me to ensure I pulled out the best examples and articulate myself well. Most important for me was learning to talk un-self-consciously about myself and my examples. Rachael worked with me to ensure I put myself forward in the best light, confidently.
PwC UK Director
Grow your Leadership Capacity
This ‘7 P’s of Leadership’ framework is unique to Pursuit and gives a valuable insight into different aspects of leadership including your performance and potential. It will give you a baseline to explore your leadership style and approach and help you get ready for a promotion by:
- exploring aspects of your personality including your values and presence
- defining your purpose and discovering your passion for work
- reviewing your performance and productivity
- reviewing your profile and understanding how people see you
- understanding your potential – what challenges and opportunities you can use to develop and stretch yourself
Together, these create a unique and special blend of skills, qualities and important areas for leadership development.
This programme is for mid to senior level leaders who want support for an important career milestone. It doesn’t matter if you’ve gone for promotion before and not been successful. What’s important is that you value your personal development and are willing to put in the hard work in order to achieve your promotion. This programme is ideal if you:
- Want to increase your presence, confidence and your chances of success
- Are just wanting to be noticed for doing high quality work but you know that’s not enough
- Struggling to articulate your value in an authentic way
- Being asked to make address difficult feedback but you’re not sure where to start
- Feeling ready for another go after not being successful before
Here’s a quick summary of the programme:
- Monthly online 90 minute 1:1 Coaching
- Your goals clearly agreed upfront
- Progress reviews mid-way and at the end of the programme
- Use of well-established leadership models and tools
- Pre-work, reading, exercises and reflection in between sessions
- DISC Personality Profile report on your communication style
- Action plan to keep you focused and moving forward
Each programme is tailored to your unique needs and promotion process and we’ll spend time at the beginning going through every aspect of your process.